Sunday, January 9, 2011

I have been searching the whole of last year...for a lot of things. The perfect apartment, a different job, a change of scene, temporary amnesia...random mundane stuff. And I realised the more you hunt the more elusive things get. Whoever said chase your dreams knew jackshit!

Dreams cant be chased. You can either do one of two things. Try and con yourself into thinking that your reality comes as close to them as possible. Or get yourself a whole new set of dreams depending on where life takes you. When it comes to your desires, the term "the thrill of the chase" is wholly over-rated.

Take for instance my tryst with apartment hunting. I have been searching for well over 8 months and just yesterday I thought my search had come to an end. I found something that was perfect. Lots of space, light, perfectly done up with all the amenities one could wish for - and the best part, well within the price range. It was love at first sight. And I was all ready to sign on the dotted line. Sadly, the apartment owner didn't seem to agree. We were informed that we couldn't get the place. Reason? We were non-vegetarian. I was non-plussed. What had that to do with anything? He didn't even live in this city! And I ate chicken and mutton for god's sake. Not like I indulged in cannibalism! I lost out on a dream home just 'coz someone doesn't agree with my diet plans!

When I was younger and single the lists for not getting a place were different. "We give it out only to families", "We can't have young single girls living in our house"...like young, single girls were all waiting to kickstart a roaring no-holds-barred orgy the moment they got a place to live. Once I got married I thought I had the problem licked. But yesterday's conversation proved me wrong.

Which kind of brought to mind this thought that I had had earlier.

Apartment hunting, in a way, is kind of like hunting for your soulmate. You set out in search of the perfect match. Each time you go to check out a prospect you have butterflies. 'Is this the one?'...and you pray it is (coz let's face it, this endless hunt can get quite tedious)..but each time something goes wrong...teeny tiny things that you could try and compromise on...but you know will only turn into a nagging annoyance later on...and you cant have that for what might end up being a lifelong commitment.

When you finally finally think you've hit jackpot you still have to contend with the opinion of others - whether they think its good for you and or whether you should wait around for something better. You stick to your guns. Coz you're in love. Till you realise that's not enough. It never is. It's not love you need. It's luck and a certain amount of skill. To land your dream job. Hold on to your perfect man. And get that perfect apartment.

Else some self-righteous b*&% in high heels and red nail polish will clickity clack away with your man. And your perfect home will go to that annoyingly smug vegetarian. Kapish?

No comments: