Thursday, November 22, 2012

Mad Girl's Love Song


I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed. 
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane. 
(I think I made you up inside my head.) 
- Sylvia Plath

I think we over think the concept of soul mates. We spend so much of time searching for 'The One' that we miss out on the special moments in between.

I've had the perfect date - flowers, candlelight, perfume and holding hands
I've had the perfect kiss - the close-your-eyes-and-feel-your-heart-stop kind
I've had the perfect love letter - simple, heart-felt and raw
I've had the perfect proposal - honest, romantic and overwhelming
I've had that perfect moment - When you can't look away from each other 

Only from different people. 

And that's more that what a lot of us will ever have. Because sometimes our dreams are impossible. And no one person or one relationship can ever do justice to it perhaps. It's a mighty long climb to the top of that pedestal.

So I've learnt to recognize those heart-touching moments in everything I live.

I've found my identity in the pages of a good book.
I've heard my words put to a rhythm in the crash of rain and thunder
I've tasted the perfect moment of contentment in a cup of coffee 
I've witnessed my soul's abandonment on the dance floor, uncaring who's watching
I've understood what love is amidst the laughter and hugs of my best friends

Our soul mates are scattered. As are our desires. 
We only need to know how to celebrate them in these isolated moments. And then see them last us an entire lifetime.

No comments: